Office: SCA 432
B.S., California State University, Fresno, 1964
M.S., University of California, Davis, 1968
Ph.D, New Mexico State University, 1971
We use polarized specular reflectance UV/vis/IR spectroscopy and semi-empirical MO calculations and electronic state-transition modelling to study solid-state materials such as crystalline porphyrins, one-dimensional conductors and photovoltaic cell components. Specular reflectance means "mirror-like reflectance" and thus any very shiny, crystalline material with minimum dimension of at least 0.03 mm is a candidate for our instrument. The polarization aspect allows us to determine some specifics about electronic transitions, making transition assignments more reliable. In addition, our semi-empirical ZINDO calculations allow modelling of the transitions and orbitals to assign transitions with even more certainty. We also study solid-state effects of molecules, to study orbital perturbations and electron transfer in solids.
FRANKLIN AND MARSHALL COLLEGE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- 1993 - Present, Professor of Chemistry
- 1985 - 1993, Associate Professor of Chemistry
PRINCIPIA COLLEGE, Elsah, Illinois
- 1983 - 1985, Professor of Chemistry
- 1976 - 1985, Chairman, Chemistry Department
- 1976 - 1983, Associate Professor of Chemistry
- 1971 - 1976, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- 1965 - 1966, Instructor in Chemistry
STANFORD UNIVERSITY, Palo Alto, California
ARGONNE NATIONAL LABORATORY, Argonne, Illinois
- 1975, Faculty Research Participant
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY, Baton Rouge
- Yves.A. Mantz and Ronald L. Musselman, "ZINDO calculations of the ground state and electronic transitions in the tetracyanonickelate ion, Ni(CN)42-", Inorg. Chem., 2002, 41, 5770-5777
- Jeffrey B. Cornelius, Robert M. Trapp, Terry J. Delord, Frank R. Fronczek, Steven F. Watkins, Jill Jasin Orosz and Ronald L. Musselman, "One-dimensional collective electronic effects in the helically stacked Cs2[Ni(CN)4]oH2O and Cs2[Pt(CN)4]oH2O: X-ray structure, polarized specular reflectance, and ZINDO calculations," Inorg. Chem., 2003, 42, 3026-3035.
- Frank R. Fronczek; Terry J. Delord; Steven F. Watkins; Petia Gueorguieva; George G. Stanley; Annegret S. Zizza; Jeffrey B. Cornelius; Yves A. Mantz; Ronald L. Musselman, "A solid-state spectral effect in eclipsed tetracyanonickelates: X-ray crystal structure, polarized specular reflectance spectroscopy and ZINDO modeling of Sr[Ni(CN)4].5H2O, Rb2[Ni(CN)4].H2O, and Na2[Ni(CN)4].3H2O" Inorg. Chem., 2003, 42, 7026-7036.
- Jeremy S. Evans and Ronald L. Musselman, "Red shifting due to non-planarity in alkylporphyrins: solid-state polarized UV-vis spectra and ZINDO calculations of two nickel(II)octaethylporphyrins." Inorg. Chem., 2004, 43, 5613-5629.