Application Submission Deadlines:
Deadlines are earlier for international applicants due to the length of time required to apply for a visa.
Application Requirements for all Graduate Chemistry Degrees
You must upload the following required application materials using the USF online application—do not email or mail material to the Chemistry Department.
Only complete applications, with all material submitted prior to the deadline, will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
- B.A. or a B.S. degree in chemistry—Applicants with degrees in other subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis. You do not have to have a master’s degree to apply to our PhD program. PhD applicants are given priority for admission and funding.
- Preferred minimum of a 3.00 GPA for undergraduate and graduate coursework
Unofficial GRE Scores
- Preferred minimum of 149 Verbal and 147 Quantitative on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) http://www.usf.edu/admissions/graduate/application-requirements/gre.aspx
- These test scores must have been earned within 5 years of the desired term of entry.
Letters of Recommendation
- Satisfactory letters of recommendation from three (3) or more people who know the student's academic or research background
Statement of Purpose
Your statement should explain why you want to attend USF for graduate studies in chemistry.
If applicable, include previous research experience, previous teaching experience, your areas of research interest and information on any USF faculty you are interested in working with.
English proficiency requirement (for international applicants): http://www.usf.edu/admissions/graduate/application-requirements/english-prof.aspx
These scores cannot be waived if you would like to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship (department funding).
If you are self-support or have a scholarship and earned a degree in the US, the scores could potentially be waived.
- These test scores must have been earned within 2 years of the desired term of entry.
Your application can be reviewed using unofficial/uploaded transcripts and scores.
If you are conditionally admitted using unofficial transcripts or test scores, we will then require official paper transcripts and electronic test scores (submitted directly from the testing agency) prior to enrollment.
Official test scores—USF’s school code is 5828
Official paper transcripts—send directly to Graduate Admissions (we do not accept transcripts sent to the Chemistry Department):
Office of Admissions
University of South Florida
4202 E Fowler Ave SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620-6900
A student's acceptance is granted for the semester and for the particular program specified in the official acceptance notification.
In the event that a student wishes to change the date of entrance, they must notify the Office of Graduate Admissions and the Chemistry Department of their intentions.
Failure to enroll during the specified semester without notifying both offices will result in the cancellation of admission and will necessitate reapplication by the student.
If you have any questions please e-mail email@example.com.